As Cameron worked on tags and maps for the website today I had a baking master-class with Cameron’s Mum who showed me how to make pancakes and shortbread. As soon as the pancakes were made we all were devouring them: smothered with cream and Cameron’s Mum’s homemade jam. Just heavenly! The shortbread was saved for coffee later…Thanks Mum for the tips and advice. We’ll try that chocolate cake next time 🙂
Recipe for Cameron’s Mum’s Perfect Pancakes
- 200g (8oz) plain flour
- 100g (4oz) caster sugar
- 1 large egg (or 2 small eggs) beaten
- 1½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 250ml buttermilk
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a bowl. Gently fold the dry mixture with a balloon whisk for 30 seconds. Add beaten egg(s) and buttermilk together. Make a well in the centre of the dry mixture and fold in egg and buttermilk mixture with a spatula to make a “dropping” consistency.
- Cook mixture in a frying pan or griddle on a moderate heat. Spoon dollops of the mixture into the pre-heated frying pan or griddle. Ensure there is sufficient space between each dollop for the pancakes to expand. When air bubbles appear on the top of the mixture, turn the pancake over to cook on the other side. Leave for a few seconds then very gently “stroke” the top of the cooked side with a palette knife. After a few more seconds, press the pancake gently and when it feels firm remove from the pan/griddle.
- Cool pancakes between two tea towels on a wire rack. Serve with jam and cream. The ultimate treat in a hurry!
Tip: The pancakes will freeze well … if you can resist eating them all at the first sitting!
Recipe for Cameron’s Mum’s Scrumptious Shortbread
- 150g (6oz) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 100g (4oz) very soft butter
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 180oC (350oF, gas mark 4). Whisk butter and sugar until smooth and mixture looks very pale. Add pinch of salt and gradually whisk in 4oz of flour then mix in remaining flour by hand to make a soft dough.
- Roll out dough mixture on a floured board to ½” thick. Cut out shortbread rounds using either 2” or 3” pastry cutters. Put rounds onto a baking tray and gently prick each one 3 times with a fork.
- Cook for 12 – 15 minutes until light golden brown. Cool on a wire tray. Once cool, sprinkle each one with caster sugar.